10 Suggestions for new Data Scientists
These are a few nuggets of advice I wish someone had told me when I started my data science journey
1. Understand the systems, how they interconnect and their limitations.
2. Understand the known data quality issues and limitations in the company
3. Identify key data sources, where to find metadata, and sample queries
4. Make connections early and cultivate positive relationships with your stakeholders and other departments you will interact with.
5. Get a good grip on the company's products and business logic
6. Don't shy away from asking questions, probing and generally being curious
7. Understand your tech stack Cloud, Database, Data Visualization Tools
8. Learn Project Management
9. Don't neglect your soft skills - learning Negotiation and Persuasion are a must
10. You will likely spend most of your time on data cleansing/data wrangling