10 Things I learned from Joseph Campbell
The author of 'A Hero With A Thousand Faces' Joseph Campbell popularized the idea of a heroes journey as a narrative structure for fiction and George Licas used this structure to create Star Wars. Joseph was wise and his quotes are noteworthy and have influenced my life.
1. The Privilege of a Lifetime is being who you are
Simple yet profound. You be you.
2. What you have to do you do with play
Alter your perspective to see what you have to do as being fun.
3. We cannot cure the sorrows of the world but we can choose to live in joy
We choose how we live
4. The world is perfect. It’s a mess. It has always been a mess.
Choose to make your life great despite what the state of the world is.
5. Our job is to straighten out our own lives
6. We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us
To go with the flow and let go of our plans and accept that there is something better for us
7. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come
Constantly upgrading and moving forward towards your dreams means giving up the comfort of familiarity that doesn't serve your growth
8. Destruction before creation
I am tearing down my sacred space so I can make a better workspace right now
9. Out of perfection nothing can be made
Every process involves breaking something up that we previously held dear to adapt to the new
10. What we are really living for is the experience of life, both the pain and the pleasure
We are seeking wholeness and balance and condcioussness and wisdom and growth and awareness and we only achieve it by bad and good things happening. The key is how we adapt and overcome and transform into the superheroes of our own lives.