10 Things I learned from Metaverse Mastery by Cameron Belfo
1. Nobody truly understood the long tern impact of AC current, radio, television, cell phones or the internet as they were happening.
2. The author thinks that the metaverse is the same
3. The Metaverse is a term that describes the digital world that most people are already starting to inhabit. It is made up of 3 elements.
This term was coined by Neal Stevenson in his novel Snow Crash in 1992. This was a huge influence for Ready Player One and many early VR enthusiasts.
4. Metaverse element one of three: Augmented Reality
This is where information is overlaid on things in your environment. The Pokemon GO game a few years ago was like this. There are also applications for things like airplane maintenance.
5. Metaverse element two of three: Virtual Reality
This is happening with video games where the entire environment is generated for you.
6. Metaverse element three of three: Telepresence
This is the one that many people already experience every day on zoom and teams meetings. Groups of people from all over the world can meet simultaneously in a virtual space. You can even remote control someone else's screen within the meeting and type code on their computer, etc.
7. Lil Nas X's Roblox concert drew 33 million views.
8. Published in 2021 (it is now 2023) the book is already showing its age.
9. Crypto, NTFs, Blockchain and other Web 3 technologies will be part of the Metaverse.
Identity tokens, transactions and other things everything will have to be digital and decentralized.
10. We are going to be spending more time in the Metaverse each day until it will become our "main reality" as one reviewer on Amazon posted.
I had this sensation during a Teams meeting the other day: I was actually "in the metaverse." Weird!