10 Things I take for granted but shouldn’t
It’s been a bit of a hectic and rough week on my side, so I wanted to take some time to write a list on some of the many things I have to be grateful for. I don’t remember when exactly I started learning about active gratitude, but I do know that it helps me so much to put things into perspective.
1. I can eat sugar whenever I want
I hear stories from some of my relatives about how they only got refined sugars once per week, and I’m dumbstruck. I love sugar, and I eat it most days, so this is a very obvious point to be lucky for.
2. I have no bedtime
When I remember this, I feel so happily liberated. I had a bedtime of like 9:00 pm until I was a senior in high school, and now I can go to sleep whenever works for me.
3. I hear the sounds of nature when I walk down the street
Chirping birds, rustling leaves... it’s all very beautiful and I’m lucky to be exposed to nature while living in the city.
4. I can see in color
I’ve known just a few color blind people in my life, but I’ve seen one of them put on the special color-changing glasses and be so moved by it. I am lucky to always see in color.
5. I need more than 2 hands to count the people I love...
This is probably the biggest blessing of all!
6. ...And even when I’m not with my loved ones, everyone I love is just a call or vid chat away
This is such a huge perk of living in modern times. Even physically-distant people can appear close.
7. It takes me less than a minute to access the internet
When I was little we still had dial-up internet. It was so slow, and you couldn’t use the computer and the phone at the same time. Things couldn’t be more different today.
8. I have health insurance and good access to health resources
Sadly, I know this isn’t the case for everyone.
9. The air I breathe is clean and not very polluted
Again, I’m so lucky to live in a city that, although being population-dense, has clean air and plenty of greenery.
10. I have everything I need to do what I want in life.
With how quickly we have access to information, I feel empowered to do so many things in life. Whenever I think of this point actively, I feel so strong and excited.