10 things to do if you find you are stagnating (staying in the same spot) in your career
1. Ask your boss what's going on, why and how to get to the next level
Maybe your boss knows, maybe your boss doesn't.
2. Explore lateral opportunities with your company
Lateral moves aren't always bad, especially if they can break you out of your 'brand' you've built so far
3. Go back to school
Maybe a certificate or credential will help you break through
4. Find difficult problems to solve
One individual I know found a very thorny problem to solve, and when the organisation re-orged so that the problem could be solved, that individual got the role.
5. Jump to another company
6. Ask a mentor
Sometimes, an outside view helps
7. Solicit the services of recruitment companies
They may not always give you the best opportunities, but it's good to get out there, update your resume, apply to jobs and get the repetitions in
8. Start your own business
So you are in a dead-end job with nowhere to go. That's okay, you can spend less time on your job (while getting the work done) and spending the time instead on another business.
9. Identify other jobs where you have an overlapping skillset
Apply and work those jobs instead.