10 Tips when Haggling
1. It takes two.
Both the buyer and seller must be willing. Otherwise haggling will not work.
2. Be willing to walk away
To be a successful haggler you have to understand and accept that not every transaction results in a sale or trade.
3. Have an idea of the end before you begin.
If you start haggling without having at least a good idea of where you want to end up, you are almost guaranteed to fail.
4. What’s in it for them?
If you can identify why it benefits the other party, you have an advantage.
5. Sometimes the first offer is the best offer.
Not very often. But it does happen.
6. Be flexible.
7. Don’t lie.
Emphasizing the truth is allowed but lying is not.
8. Allow the other party at least a partial win.
If you try to wring every last advantage or profit from every haggle, you will have less success. And fewer people willing to do business with.
9. Re-state the agreed terms
This ensures both parties are fully aware and agree.
10. Don’t let haggling make you angry.
It's not worth it.