6 ways I need to improve my cats’ environment
I read Decoding Your Cat. The book recommended the following changes in their environment.
1. I need to adjust to their routines (obviously because they run the world or at least my life).
Cats love routine. When I ignore their routine, they get cranky. Waking up, Eating Times, Going to Bed, Playing and Eating Treats each have a time. It does not vary for the change in DayLight Savings Time. I need to be in alignment with their routines for them to be happy.
2. I need to separate their feeding bowls
Even cats that were in the same litter need to have their own separate feeding bowls or they can get a bit testy. Right now, their bowls are side by side, which might explain some of the aggression between the two of them at nighttime.
3. I need to provide them with multiple boxes or containers to climb into
I brought out each of their car carrying cases and one of them climbed into the case to sleep. The other cat looked like he wanted to climb into the other one. They love boxes and small enclosed spaces.
4. I need to provide multiple levels to climb
One of my cats constantly leaps up to pull on the curtains until they pop out of the brackets holding them on the wall.
5. I need to hide some of their toys away periodically so that they can ‘rediscover’ them later.
Apparently, they need variety as much as we do.
6. I need to buy an outdoor cat netted room to give them a chance to play outside
In my opinion, if my cats were able to go outdoors, they would be farm animals. A netted outdoor cat room would allow them to enjoy being closer to the squirrels and bunny rabbits that taunt them daily.