Chinese Orange Chicken Pot Pie
Why not try something different for your next pot pie? This fusion dish combines two American classics – pot pie and orange chicken. The pot pie crust is filled with a savory orange chicken filling for a delicious and easy meal.
1 store-bought or homemade pie crust
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 orange, zested
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and chicken pieces, tossing to coat evenly.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the coated chicken pieces and cook until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
4. To the same skillet, add the onion, garlic, ginger, and cloves. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the chicken broth, orange juice, soy sauce, honey, sriracha sauce, and green onions. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the cooked chicken pieces and zest from one orange.
7. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
8. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving hot.
Pair this pot pie with a glass of white wine for a perfect weeknight meal. The orange chicken filling is also great for making wraps or served over rice.