1. Hand axe is more compact
2. Machete is usually flatter and often lighter.
3. Hand axe easier to repair in the field.
4. Machete is easier to sharpen
5. Hand axe is usually easier to control
6. Machete can extend your reach
7. Hand axe is more useful in temperate mixed forests.
8. Machetes are more suited to rain forests and areas of lush vegetation.
9. Machetes are often the preferred tool for shelter building
10. Hand axes are much more efficient at fire preparation.
11. Hand axes have a wider variety of uses around camp.
12. Machetes ride better on a pack
13. Hand axes will ride better on a belt.
14. While often thought of as interchangeable, both of these tools long ago earned their keep with the well equipped trekker.