Have a fast track, urgent care track within the ER for urgent, but not emergent cases
1. Triage needs to meet every patient; including those brought in by ambulance
Triage does need to be performed by nurses. Paramedics are well trained in this. This will help ensure patients are placed in the proper track.
2. Your fast track exam area could save space with smaller exam rooms.
3. Do not use physicians as your primary care provider.
Of course, ER or hospital physicians are always available for consult.
4. If possible, separate waiting areas for the ER and Fast Track would be helpful.
5. Since your Fast Track service is hospital based, patients could be discharged with a couple days worth of medication.
6. Post estimated wait times for both the ER and Fast Track.