"Hey boy hand me that bag of chips"
I need your help with something.
I have a dilemma.
If someone says something to me that is "unflattering" how long should I hold onto it?
Does your answer depend on if what was said is true or untrue?
Does your answer depend on the content of what was said - "hey boy hand me that bag of chips?"
Does your answer depend on the tone and inflection of their speech?
Does your answer depend on whether or not I knew the other person personally?
So how long should I hold onto my grievance - if at all?
- Notice how we are triggered by such trivial things.
- Notice how the same things that set us off ten years ago are still alive today.
- Notice how we think we are the effect and not the cause.
- Notice the absurdity and silliness of holding onto a grievance the longer we hold onto it.
- Notice the person that is always in the most pain is the one keeping the "unpleasant" memory alive in their mind.
- Notice how awful you feel even if you hold onto the feeling of being "wronged" for a mere seven seconds.
1. 7 seconds
2. 7 minutes
3. 7 hours
4. 7 days
5. 7 months
6. 7 Years
7. The trigger that instigates
Nothing happens until someone pulls the trigger...
It's the world's responsibility to push our triggers because that's what the world is a master at.
It's our responsibility not to be triggered, and if we are, -- not for too long.