Publishing My First Book Because James Altucher Shared a 'How To' Post
After reading an online post by James on how to self publish a book on Createspace (now KDP on Amazon) around six years ago, I was inspired to self publish a book in 2016, Called 'Pump Your Own Tires.'
1. But First, One of the commenters on the post asked if anyone wanted to collaborate on a book with him
A commenter said why don't we collaborate and publish a book about our business success, each contributing a chapter. I and five others said yes! I had a successful Wordpress blog about loving yourself and positive thinking named AnnBeaudet.com and I was going to write my chapter and tell my story how I learned to love myself and restore my confidence.
2. I am a keener, so I raised my hand to his comment about collaborating, along with five other people, and started writing my chapter.
l wrote 3 pages of text, for my chapter, around 1,000 words.
3. I created a Facebook Group for the Book Collaborators to discuss the project and how to proceed.. Someone suggested giving the book for free to promote our brands. due to the difficulty of splitting royalties.
4. The Excuses Started Pouring In About why they couldn't write a Book.
I suggested we each kick in $100 so we could get a cover and formatting and editing and printing. They didn't have the money, time, skills they said, so fear crept in their minds and they didn't want to try.
5. But I had Written A Chapter!!
I had a small chapter of my book in my hand, and decided to go it alone and write all the chapters. I didn't have time to write because of working during the day, so I got up at 3am and wrote for an hour or two and went back to bed for a few hours. In three months, I had a book!!
6. The Moral of The Story is To Begin. It was powerful to write my first chapter. Taking Action and Finding a Way is The Way to Succeed.
After writing this book, I wrote a novel in six months in 2019, and created a course about how to write a novel in 180 days. (Link in Bio). So grateful I did this!