Paramahansa Yogananda - It's time to get your Om on.
Yogananda's quotes alone are a Masterclass on how to live.
One of the most comprehensive spiritual and self-development teachings on the planet.
Yoga for the modern yogi.
Yoga, without the yoga.
1. So long as the soul of man is encased in one, two, or three body-containers, sealed tightly with the corks of ignorance and desires, he cannot merge with the sea of Spirit.
Ignorance. Is it worth it?
What desires could a man that has it all have?
2. “kutastha (spiritual sight)?”
That which remains unchanged -
3. “The secret of effective prayer is to change your status from beggar to child of God; when you appeal to Him from that consciousness, your prayer will have both power and wisdom.”
God already knows what's best for you - you don't.
God already knows what you need - you don't.
The things you're begging for won't make you happy anyway if you were to get them.
4. “The body is literally manufactured and sustained by mind.”
Without mind, there is no body and nobody.
5. “To work with God's happiness bubbling in the soul is to carry a portable paradise within you wherever you go.”
I bet you didn't know you had a "portable paradise" at your disposal.
6. “Seeds of past karma cannot germinate if they are roasted in the fires of divine wisdom.”
Everything makes sense when it's roasted in the fires of divine wisdom.
7. “The happiness of one's own heart alone cannot satisfy the soul; one must try to include, as necessary to one's happiness, the happiness of others.”
The best feeling you'll ever have on planet earth is being of service to others.
8. “Moral: Look fear in the face and it will cease to trouble you.”
Fear is an illusion.
The devil is a lie.
Fear cannot replace love - it can only appear to have done so.
9. “If you criticize others judgmentally, rather than simply commenting on their behavior impartially, that shows that you have their faults to work on in yourself."
By criticizing others, moreover, you increase those faults in yourself.
What you condemn in others, you will have to experience, someday, yourself.
That is the karmic law. In that way, people are taught compassion.
Your inner world and outer world are always a perfect match.
10. “Why be elated by material profit?.. He knows that man arrives penniless in this world, and departs without a single rupee.”
You gain the whole world but you lose the most important thing - Your Soul
11. “The human mind is a spark of the almighty consciousness of God."
I could show you that whatever your powerful mind believes very intensely would instantly come to pass.
Your mind and the Mind of God are one.
12. “The power of unfulfilled desires is the root of all man’s slavery.”
Your unfulfilled desires are a prison of your own making.
13. “Ordinary love is selfish, darkly rooted in desires and satisfactions."
Divine love is without condition, without boundary, without change.
The flux of the human heart is gone forever at the transfixing touch of pure love.
Most bodies are used as bait to catch another fish.
You believe the fish is the answer to your prayers until the fish stops doing what you want it to do.
You quickly withdraw your conditional love and divorce the fish.
14. “The greatest sin is to call yourself a sinner."
You are a child of God.
Though gold be covered with mud for centuries, it remains gold.
So the pure ‘gold’ of the soul can be covered over with the mud of delusion for eons, but in its true nature it remains forever undefiled.”
God cannot create unlike himself.
15. “Devote your entire will power to mastering one thing at a time; do not scatter your energies, nor leave something half done to begin a new venture.”
Master one thing.
FOCUS - Follow One Course Until Successful
16. “Be honest with yourself. The world is not honest with you. When you are honest with yourself you find the road to inner peace”
The world lies to you.
The world is full of untruths.
The world has an agenda for you that leads nowhere fast.
The Truth is the only thing that will "save" you.
The Truth is the only thing that will give you joy, peace, and happiness.
17. “Discerning placement of a comma does not atone for a spiritual coma.”
What does it mean to be in a spiritual coma?
If you were to visit a comatose patient in a hospital bed he looks just like someone who is asleep.
The patient is inactive and unconscious, but he is not dead.
He still has a heartbeat and he's still breathing.
But unlike a sleeping man, the patient does not wake up after many hours.
The patient remains in that state of unconsciousness for a few days or weeks, and in rare cases, even for years!
It is normal for us to sleep as our body needs sufficient rest, but it is abnormal for a person to remain asleep for too long for that means that he is comatose.
We're in a spiritual state of slumber.
18. “Be as simple as you can be; you will be astonished to see how uncomplicated and happy your life can become.”
19. “You must not let your life run in the ordinary way; do something that nobody else has done, something that will dazzle the world. Show that God's creative principle works in you.”
Spotlight your Light
20. “Forget the past, for it is gone from your domain! forget the future, for it is beyond your reach! control the present! Live supremely well now! This is the way of the wise...”
If you devote any time thinking about the past or future you invest in nothingness.
Past - already gone
Future - not yet
21. “Kindness is the light that dissolves all walls between souls, families, and nations.”
You wanna know how to solve the world's problems? #21 is the answer.
22. “If you permit your thoughts to dwell on evil you yourself will become ugly. Look only for the good in everything so you absorb the quality of beauty.”
Are you absorbing ugly or absorbing beauty? It's a choice.
23. “There is a magnet in your heart that will attract true friends. That magnet is unselfishness, thinking of others first; when you learn to live for others, they will live for you.”
What you give to another, you give to yourself.
What you fail to give to another, you fail to give to yourself.
There's only one person in the room.
24. You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained.”
I'm not here to be entertained. What about you?
25. “Read a little. Meditate more. Think of God all the time.”
Did you think about God today? At all?
26. “Persistence guarantees that results are inevitable.”
Ask for help if you need it.
27. “You do not have to struggle to reach God, but you do have to struggle to tear away the self-created veil that hides him from you”
Despite what the world may appear to look like God hasn't gone anywhere.
He standing tall right behind all the grievances that you hold onto that prevent you from seeing him.
28. Remain calm, serene, always in command of yourself. You will then find out how easy it is to get along.”
It's amazing how easy I get along with everyone when I don't attack them.
29. “Since you alone are responsible for your thoughts, only you can change them.”
You are the cause, not the result.