The Silver Birch is a beautiful tree with a multitude of cultural and historical references. Around the World in 80 Trees by Jonathan Drori gives the following factoids. This tree has grown around us for generations on the planet, sparking our imaginations and feeding our souls.
1. Silver Birches extend from Ireland, across Northern Europe, the Baltic states, beyond the Urals and far into Siberia
2. Five thousand years ago, people used bark resin as an antiseptic chewing gum
3. Birches in moonlight take on a ghostly, eerie power.
4. Birches are in multiple folk tales of Northern people
5. There are many superstitions and rituals surrounding the Silver Birch
6. Birch sap, which rises in the last throes of winter, just before bud-burst, is taken as an early spring tonic.
7. For centuries, the birch has been revered for centuries for its ability to renew and purify.
8. It also has been revered for its ability to subvert spells and sorcery.
9. Archetypal toadstools love to grow around the Silver Birch
10. Siberian tribes and the Saami people of northern Finland and Sweden have built a number of shamanistic rituals around these toadstools.