Ways to Deconstruct Vampire Tales/Tropes
I was inadvertently prompted by a tweet to turn all vampire tropes on their heads. Here's my attempt.
1. Vampires are benevolent
They are the good guys, just misunderstood.
2. While they do suck blood, it's beneficial to humans
Much like medieval leeching, by sucking the blood of the afflicted, they can heal
3. There is no global conspiracy of vampires running the show
Instead they have been persecuted throughout history and live in secret and on the run.
4. They don't have to be invited in
This rumour arose out of custom, where they were still feared, but if your loved one was afflicted, you would call the local vampire as a last resort.
5. Vampires images can be captured by mirrors or cameras
It's just something they traditionally avoid to keep from being tracked down or captured. A subculture of younger vampires embraces social media.
6. Sunlight isn't deadly to vampires
But it does weaken them, or even rob them of their powers.
7. Vampires don't turn into bats
Instead, they have an affinity for them and can communicate with them emphatically. Some are kept as pets and using misdirection, it seems like the vampire 'turns into' the bat when it's really a matter of looking the wrong way and seeing the bat appear.
8. Vampires don't require human blood to survive
Yet it is more desirable and tasty to them, and strengthens them.
9. Garlic doesn't repel vampires
But it can poison them.
10. They don't sleep in coffins
Just beds with lids that secure them from being killed in their sleep, since they are hunted and persecuted.