What makes for a good vs bad WFH day
Working from home was not fun for me during peak pandemic, but I love it now, most of the time.
1. Good: Working from home because you choose to, not because you’re forced to
2. Bad: Not having a good setup, especially for video calls, or having to fight over the only good spot with your partner/housemate
3. Good: Being able to go outside and be in nature easily throughout the day
4. Bad: Being stuck in an apartment you chose for based on proximity to your office, rather than actually liking the place or the neighborhood
5. Good: Having plans to look forward to at the end of the work day
6. Bad: Working long hours and not having any official end to your day
7. Good: Having a clear system with your partner/housemates to show when interruptions are welcome vs when you really need to focus
8. Bad: Back to back meetings all day and not scheduling time to eat
9. Good: Deep focus work time without meetings, with plenty of breaks for food / movement / other stuff
10. Bad: Construction going on nearby at unpredictable times, extremely loudly
11. Good: Being able to control the temperature of your workspace (as opposed to being subjected to freezing office AC from April to September)
12. Bad: Lawn mowers from every nearby neighbor being extremely audible and distracting.
13. Good: Noise canceling headphones
14. For me, basically all the bad elements were present for the first stages of the pandemic. Now, I have mostly the good factors! Except for occasional construction and lawnmowers😠. But overall I’m much more set up for successful WFH now.
Eyegorand 3 more liked this