10 books to help with creative work
1. Steal like an artist - Austin Kleon
Great ways to boost your creativity
2. The Practice by Seth Godin
Talks about the mindset, routines, systems and habits that all artists need to have
3. The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
Do everything you can to beat the resistance
4. A Whack on the Side of the Head by Roger von Oech
How to 'whack' your head for more ideas.
5. Thinkertoys by Michael Michalko
Specific strategies for generating new ideas on command.
6. Go by Chip Kidd
Graphic design basics for people who don't know anything about graphic design
7. Creativity by John Cleese
Short ideas by John on how to generate more ideas
8. It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be by Paul Arden
Some of the advice is contrarian which is the best advice for getting you out of ruts.
9. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
Elziabeth talks about the creative process and how she understands it.
10. Any sci fi book
For me, I find many science fiction books full of wonderful and interesting ideas. Many of the ideas aren't things I can apply to my life but they do get me thinking differently.