10 Ideas for a More Peaceful World 🌍🕊️
5 to reduce war, 5 to increase peace
1. "Leaders" who want to declare war should lead the troops. From the front.
2. Politicians who want to fund wars should use their own money first. All of it.
3. Politicians who want to fund foreign wars should be there in person.
4. Leaders should have to wear special uniforms on the battlefield
Like this one:
5. People should study anti-war art
War Pigs by Black Sabbath, All Quiet on the Western Front (movie, 2022)
Vasily Vereshchagin, ‘The Apotheosis of War’, 1871
6. Schools should teach more about people and less about conflicts and conquests
Going to school in Northern Virginia every year it seems like we learned about the Civil War. The whole town of Arlington is like a museum to the Civil War with streets and high schools named after Civil War generals and battlefields.
In the 70s and 80s we learned the names of the European explorers/invaders and very little about native people.
It would be good to study how people lived before electricity, or how people in other cultures live.
7. Try to understand what people want and need. Is there a way to get it besides conflict?
There are at least 3 areas of armed conflict in the world at this time (2023). What would it take for people to stop being aggressors? I don't even understand it.
8. Celebrate life and culture
9. Smile more
10. Media content that humanizes other cultures: the people
On the "news" we see the same explosions and mutilated bodies or people screaming in anger or grief. It would be good to learn about what the regular people did and try to understand what the conflict is about.