10 Ideas To Foster More Practical Learning
I initially called it 'hands-on' learning in another list. These may or may not be in school.
1. Bring back 'Home-Ec'.
Some version of this is sometimes offered now as a 'Health' class, but generally speaking, the Health classes I've seen do not teach cooking, grocery shopping, or basic nutrition ... as well as other home skills like 'how to thread a needle & sew'.
2. Make either work or service mandatory.
Could be paid or volunteer or civil or military, remote or in person ... but you've gotta DO something for others.
3. Work on a farm, garden, or in some form with plants or animals.
For at least a few days.
4. At a certain age, one semester of school should be taken in a new geographic location.
Could be domestic or international.
5. Add Basic Business to general high-school (or earlier) curriculum.
Profit, COGS, Margins, P&L ... etc.
6. Add Personal Finance to school curriculum.
Savings, investments, bill-paying, etc.
7. Sell something.
Learning how to sell something is an important skill.
8. Use multiple grading/evaluation formats.
Including self-evaluation. Not just testing for recall.