10 mistakes I made when doing my own plumbing work
This is a simple clogged drain. I have done about a half dozen plumbing projects before so I felt pretty confident. Thanks to taking 10x longer longer than I thought and using some expressive vocabulary I did get it finished.
Here's a picture of my supervisor Daisy.
1. Doing my own plumbing work.
I am living in a rental house. All I had to do was make a phone call.
2. Thinking that I would be done in 10 minutes
3. Thinking that the 40 year old parts would just unscrew
No, they snapped
4. Thinking I could remove the locking nut
Had to dremel cut it
5. Thinking that the cheap replacement part from Amazon would be a perfect fit because it was the same brand
6. Not taking 5 minutes to put everything under the sink into a box so that I would have room to work
Nope. "Worked around it"
7. Not having a bucket under the sink when testing it.
The bucket was at least in the same room
8. Not taking 5 minutes to rig up some sort of ramp and blankets so that I could get where I needed comfortably
9. Not having all my tools from the beginning
Had to go out to the garage 4 times
10. thinking the rest of the drain system counld keep up with a full force overflow scenario for testing.
Almost had a big flood.