10 reasons to continue (or begin!) to practice an instrument and make music in your 50s and beyond
I played in a lot of bands in my 20s. Then I got a “real job” and had a life. Now I have time and energy to get back to it.
1. It’s fun!
2. Keeps your brain active
There are so many directions to go in.
3. Keeps muscles strong
I was losing grip strength: now I play scales for exercise.
4. Keeps your mind active
Working out scales and rhythms is a great mind workout: like puzzles.
5. Computer music has no limits
6. You can buy the exact equipment pros use for just a few hundred dollars
I have mentioned this here before but for less than $1000 you can have an amazing high definition studio and use the exact sounds and software that the pros use.
7. It is very satisfying to make a sound that brings you joy
8. You can look forward to an opportunity to play: it can get you up in the morning.
9. You can relive the glory days if you were in a band when you were younger
We are big in Japan...