10 topics to start my art career
I've been drawing and painting since I was a kid, it's my happy place. I learned to use a variety of media: from acrylics to pencil, from algorithms to oil colours.
I'm a computer scientist by training and I would like to try selling my art as a side business. To be an interesting artist I need to refine my voice and communicate in my own style.
I have sketched some of the ideas below creating 15-20 small paintings.
1. Mathematics + art: geometric abstraction built on simple rules (e.g. golden ratio, plan partitions, ...) and colour theory. Be careful to avoid copying M.C. Escher and Opt Art.
2. Computer Science + art: interpret Turing machines in visual terms. Steal ideas from modernist art, pop art, videogames
3. Videogames + art: reinvent the games I liked when a kid (Defender, Donkey Kong, ...) as modernist painting
4. Algorithms + art: this is a new media that can combine my skills on IT and visual arts. Steer away from making nice pictures that don't communicate a thing. Core principle: creation && object of art && algorithm && one's own algorithm
5. Scale + art : creating with physical media (ink, oil, ...) is time consuming and not scalable. Make digital versions of my paintings, with different sizes and colour schemes. Use https://blog.artstorefronts.com/ or similar to sell
Billand 5 more liked this