10 ways fiction can be good for you
From a serial non-fiction enthusiast
1. Gets you into flow quicker
Well-written fiction books are page turners. Great non-fiction books are ones where you have to stop, re-read, analyze, and think about it.
2. Opens your imagination
3. Makes you think "what if"
One of my favourite fiction books: Replay by Ken Grimwood, makes me think "what if I had to re-live my life?"
4. You can fall asleep without worrying about missing anything
Try to fall asleep to non-fiction and you'll find that you aren't in a state to learn anything before bed
5. You can learn from fiction too
Well-researched fiction books have nuggets of knowledge you can apply to life
6. There's a great selection of books
Think of any genre, sub-genre and sub-sub-genre and you'll find it.
7. You read it once and you will find it hard to forget
I have to re-read non-fiction books all the time. But the major plots of the fiction books I read I always remember.
8. Less judgment from others
I am aware of what non-fiction books I read out in public. I don't have to worry so much with fiction books because they're not known as well.
9. Easier to find
Since people like to read and re-read non-fiction books, fiction books can be easier to find in used bookstores
10. They don't seem as serious
Compared to non-fiction, they aren't as serious and so there's less of a commitment to get through a fiction book