10 ways to address the cat problem
Our son in Minnesota in college found a stray cat at a gas station yesterday. it had a collar. The cat is affectionate to our son but in heat and yowling: loudly and all night. His roommates are furious. We are cat people and want to help but we are 1500 miles away. It is also Sunday morning. We don't know whether the cat has been vaccinated, and we have no proof of vaccination. So it would need to be vaccinated before it could go to most places, including traveling on an airplane, or going to boarding house. This situation is only 24 hours old so would be open to suggestions!
This is ChatGPTs version of a cat being rescued:
1. Find a registered pet sitter that is willing to take the cat in
2. Fly to Minnesota and drive the cat back to Florida
This trades one problem for another. It is also expensive.
3. Get the cat vaccinated in Minneapolis
This would allow travel and boarding temporarily
4. Surrender the cat to the Humane Society or other program (Feline Rescue)
Most of the pet rescue places are overwhelmed in that area. It will be difficult to find one.
5. Drive towards each other and meet somewhere in the middle to hand off the cat with the cat arriving in Florida
This would probably not work out. I would hesitate to take my cars on a 2000 mile journey because they're very old and crappy. We would also have to rent a car for my son to drive.
6. Rent a pet friendly Airbnb to keep the cat in until it can be spayed
7. Put the cat back at the gas station where he found it
Nobody really wants to do this, but it has to be considered as an option
8. ask if anyone at school has a family that can take care of the cat for a few days
Maybe they have a barn?
9. Post on social media forums in the area for advice
10. Start our own cat rescue center
lots of need for this.