10 ways to exhibit civility
1. Listen with an open mind
2. Validate that you understood what was said.
I have a hard time with this.
3. Try very hard not to raise your volume or change your tone.
4. Acknowledge where you and the other person agree
5. Decide how important being “right” is
Driving. Talking. Standing in a Queue.
6. Don’t be in a hurry.
Please. Thank You. etc.
7. Remember what Mom taught you.
And that's OK.
8. Accept that not everyone sees things the way you do
Haven't you ever accidentally upset someone? It happens.
9. Realize you might be the one in the wrong.
When you are reacting you've let the other person, group, etc. take control. Keep control by acting on what happened or was said. Not reacting to what happened.