10 ways to have more self-compassion
1. Forgive yourself immediately
Whenever you mess up.
2. Correct yourself after insulting yourself
"I'm such a fucking idiot. Wait, no. I'm not an idiot."
3. Recognize your desires that come from a lack of self-love
4. Think about yourself when you were a kid
Doesn't that kid deserve happiness and love?
5. Talk to yourself as you would talk to your best friend
Are you as judgemental towards your best friend as you are towards yourself? Probably not.
6. Eat healthy most of the time
7. Allow yourself to eat crap here and there
8. Recognize that you're playing the cards you were dealt with
Which doesn't mean you shouldn't take responsibility for your own life. This may sound contradictory but I don't think it is. Take responsibility, but acknowledge that we all have disadvantages and advantages that make some things harder or easier. They make us human, and they remind us that we can't be perfect all the time. But don't use anything as an excuse to be a jerk or to throw your life away.
9. Hug yourself
This one feels cringey but I remember someone recommended doing this; can't remember who. I've tried it a few times and it's not too bad.
10. Loving-kindness meditation
This one comes up in my lists a lot.