7 Reasons why gift cards make bad gifts
I don't like receiving gift cards for presents, and I refuse to give them to other people. All in all, I think they make pretty terrible gifts. I hope this list serves as a PSA against giving gift cards.
1. They often expire
It's ridiculous that a gift can expire!
2. They're very impersonal...
And far too fungible
3. ...But they don't even have the benefits of gifts that are highly fungible
I.e. cash. Cash is way more useful than a gift card.
4. They come with weird conditions attached
E.g. activation regulations, limited usability...
5. They're not particularly fun to open
6. There's no way to provide a "gift receipt" in case your recipient doesn't like the present
7. They're easy to lose
And once lost, they're gone forever.