Area for Biz / Side Gigs
Would it help the cause ("improving" and/or increasing usage) to have a dedicated area for posting links to our businesses / side gigs?
By having a section that specifically highlights people's businesses, it would draw more traffic to the site. This would be good for the site and also for the side-giggers who would get more customers.
1. The idea is to increase traffic
People could post their business / side gig along with a link to their website. Then they can write up posts about why they are doing this, what they are offering, etc. And then other users can comment and ask questions.
2. How it would work
1) People will see you as an authority in your field (even if you are just starting out). So when people search for things related to your field, they will see your name and check out your website.
3. Benefits of posting your business on the site
2) If you offer something for sale, people who read about your business might want to buy from you.
3) You build a community around yourself on the site which can lead to opportunities down the road (like writing articles for them or being interviewed by them).
There's really no downside except if you don't like getting feedback on your ideas or products. I guess there's also a downside if you think this will decrease usage of the site because everyone is posting links to their businesses but I think it will have the opposite effect.
4. The downsides of posting your business here? None! (or some?)
If someone is commenting on another person's business idea, does that constitute a conflict of interest? It seems like it could but I don't know how much of one it would be since everyone has an equal stake in improving this community and making it grow and prosper.
5. What about conflict of interest?
I'm sure there are many benefits I'm missing or downsides I'm over-exagerrating so please let me know what you think!