Contrarian Investment Advice
1. Cash is a better investment than stocks during an economic downturn
The stock market can crash 30+% during a downturn. Cash still loses value, but nearly as much as the stock market can. That is why rich people pull their money out of equities when things are looking bad.
2. Inflation is good for stocks
Input costs do go up for businesses, but businesses have the ability to increase the costs of their products.
3. Cash flow always beats growth
Increasing your cash flow will give the option to invest in those 'grwothy' things.
4. Everyone should not put their money in an ETF
ETFs are great for the majority of people, but not everyone. You are also supporting some bad companies.
5. A 401k is not a great investment
There are a lot of costs associated with the 401k, but like democracy it is better than the alternative.
6. Don’t go for the ‘safe’ job
If you work for a company, there really is no 'safe' job. You can always be replaced.
7. You don’t need to know exactly what you are investing into
Lockheed Martin is right down the street from my house and I have been an investor in the business for a long time.
I know they make jets, but I don't what technology is inside those jets. I probably will never come into contact with their product of know what goes on inside that business. But it has been a great investment.
8. There is a difference between listening to someone and doing what they say
I hear a lot of different things, but then choose the ideas thatI believe are best. Same for investing. Choose the ideas that are best for you, not just because you were told to do something.
9. You don't need retirement accounts
If I were to start all over again, I would just choose my stock investment account and not do any retirement accounts. Retirement accounts lock your money away for a long time and that money might be better spent creating a better life for you and your family.
10. Start taking Social Security right away
I know it increases the longer you wait. But your not getting any younger, with however many years God gives you use the social security to live a better life.