Forgiveness is a profound act of self-liberation. (59 sec)
1. We have done ourselves an awful injustice.
2. Especially what we've been taught about forgiveness that just ain't so.
3. We're taught that forgiveness means we're allowing someone else to escape responsibility, as if they were on a hook we're letting them off of.
It's presented as an act that confirms our rightness and their wrongness.
4. It cleverly confirms our rightness and their wrongness.
5. They are not responsible for what we are doing to ourselves.
6. They serve as a mirror, reflecting back to us our own guilt and unresolved issues.
7. We've searched high and low for the enemy only to find the enemy is us.
8. True forgiveness is not about exoneration but about releasing ourselves from the burden of judgment.
9. It's self-compassion, our inner state is our responsibility, and others merely play a role in revealing our inner world to us.
I am sorry.
Please forgive me.
I love you.