"Puppy's First Pedicure: A Beginner's Guide to Nail Trimming"
Watch this example video on IG @thejtclough Introduction to Puppy Nail Trimming
1. Use a Dremel instead of clippers.
This makes it easier not cut into the nail quick or blood source.
2. Don't attempt to trim all the puppy nails in the first sitting.
3. Begin by turning on the Dremel near the puppy and rewarding them with high-value treats.
4. Place the running Dremel near your puppy's paw and reward them with high-value treats.
5. You can scatter some treats on the floor, and as your puppy goes for them, hold their paw and touch the Dremel to their nail for 1 to 2 seconds. Reward them with a high-value treat again.
6. Continue to repeat this process until you can hold the Dremel on the nail for longer periods of time.
7. Start with just one nail and end the session.
8. Frequently come back to this training game frequently so that your puppy becomes accustomed to hearing and feeling the Dremel on their nails.
9. As your puppy progresses, you'll be able to gradually increase the duration of the game and eventually trim all of your puppy's nails in one sitting.
10. The key to success is patience and consistent rewards. If your puppy is not motivated by treats, the process may take a bit longer, and you'll need to reward them with affection and praise instead.