1. External events impact our ego and contrived sense of self.
2. We maintain the belief that this impact is outside our sphere of control.
3. The impact may even appear to be instigated by external sources.
4. The subsequent arrows are self-inflicted wounds, which are the thoughts, words, and actions we engage in as a response to the initial impact.
5. These self-inflicted wounds are what perpetuates our suffering.
6. Until we learn to take 100% responsibility for our own thoughts and behaviors we continue to suffer.