Thoughts after getting back to stand up
I essentially took a one-year break, only performing a handful of times since May of last year. I'm now performing again after moving to Barcelona.
1. It feels like there was something missing from my life
I wasn't sure how important I wanted it to be, but now it's hard to imagine myself not doing it at all. Who knows though.
2. I always think "man, I missed this" after a break
3. I missed trying out new jokes
4. and I'm excited to try new ones regularly
Something I didn't do enough of before.
5. The community here feels quite nice
6. I think I'm gonna make friends
7. It's nice that even open mics have an audience
8. My confidence came back quite quickly
9. but I definitely feel rusty when it comes to crowd work
10. I love seeing others perform
Well, some of them!
11. There's something special about international comedy scenes
You get all kinds of comedians of different levels from many different countries, with audience members from all over as well. It's often weird and awkward, but also intimate. I even enjoy the experience when it's bad.
12. I'm coming up with more ideas specifically for stand up
Lately, most of the jokes in my notebook were for things outside stand up. Now there's an increasing number of stand-up-related notes.