Ways to integrate autonomous vehicles into traffic flow.
1. Start by only allowing them on limited access, divided highways.
Interstates, M routes, etc.
2. Have dedicated lanes for autonomous vehicles only.
You could even have lane barriers to separate these lanes from "normal" traffic
3. Regulate the time of day autonomous vehicles are allowed to operate.
4. Create a parallel support infrastructure.
Cargo hubs, marshaling yards, Fueling/charging stations, etc.
5. Integrate slowly.
There are still lots of fear and uncertainty with the public. As confidence grows, so can integration.
6. Have a simple, visible way for other drivers to recognize autonomous vehicles.
Maybe a paint pattern. Maybe a light signal. It needs to be clear and simple..
7. Maintain “autonomous free” routes and zones.
Again, to decrease resistance and increase driver comfort.
8. Make it easier for public safety to access, control, and if necessary, stop autonomous vehicles.
Maybe. Maybe not.