What are the most inspirational things you find about Islam?
1. The idea that God is one, not a trinity.
The idea that God is One means that we are all part of the same thing. We are all brothers and sisters.
2. No heaven or hell
3. The Five Pillars of Islam.
The five pillars are prayer, charity, fasting, pilgrimage to Mecca, and reading the Qur'an.
4. Fasting during Ramadan.
During Ramadan you fast from sunrise to sunset every day for 30 days in order to learn self-discipline and self-control and to feel what it's like to be hungry so you can empathize with the poor more easily.
5. Charity - zakat - 2.5% of income given away every year to the needy.
This teaches you not only empathy but also how to manage your money well so you don't go broke trying to help everyone who asks for it (a problem I've had).
6. "There is no god but God" - reminds us that we are all part of one thing and we need each other in order to reach God.
We can't do it on our own so we need each other's help along the way if we want to get there (i.e., the path of spiritual progress). This reminds me of "if you want to go fast, go alone; if you want to go far, go together".
7. "Allah hu Akbar" - God is great/stronger than anything else in this world or in any world/universe he created/will create."
When times get tough, this reminds me that God will always be stronger than anything else so I should keep going forward no matter what happens around me because God has a plan for me even if I don't know what it is yet and he will keep me strong through everything no matter what happens around me.