What I learned today in a class on St Francis of Assisi
I am taking a class on The Franciscan Way.
1. St Francis did not believe in an exclusionary Christianity
There is no sacred or profane. No duality.
2. Franciscans believe in the goodness of God and the humility of God.
God is humble enough to enter into the world. In animals, humans, nature. Everything that we think is bad, dirty, stinky, unlovely, undeserving. Francis kissed the leper.
3. Everything we see if part of the incarnation
God has entered in the world. Into nature. Into animals and plants.
4. All holiness is mirrored holiness. Mirrored from God to us.
We are beloved of God. Original grace, not original sin. We can mirror back that same grace to others.
5. All bears the Christ mystery. We're in communion with God everywhere if we only realize it.
6. When you start with no, it's nearly impossible to get to Yes.
When you come at life with the No or an exclusionary perspective, it is very hard to get back to Yes or Grace.
7. Approach everything with a cosmic yes for what it is: blessed and loved of God - and that includes yourself.
Give yourself grace. Stop with the self-hate.