What I would do with $1 billion
I'm seeing others post this but I don't think it's a challenge. I'd give almost all of it away.
1. Keep $25 million
I can't image we'd spend anywhere near this much in our lifetimes but would protect us against something awful.
2. Make sure all of United Animal Friends' needs are met
The is the rescue my wife has volunteered with since 2005, been president for much of that time. $25 million ought to do it.
3. Set up an endowment of $100 million for other animal rescues
4. Set up an endowment of $100 million for volunteer fire departments
5. Set up a $50 million endowment for orgs that provide free dental care
6. Start an org to promote nutrition education $25m s/b more than enough
This would focus on low carb
7. $300 million for one off events
Help natural disaster victims or people displaced by war, that sort of thing. Not an endowment so it might deplete quickly but could help a lot of people.
8. Walker Fire $25 million
The department where I volunteer. That should last for decades, maybe longer.