10 Ways to improve the workplace
1. Acknowledge the fact that team play doesn't work
2. If you must have teams, formally appoint , and empower a team leader.
3. Keep the hierarchy as flat as possible, while acknowledging that there has to be a boss.
4. Make sure the middle management knows what is expected of them regarding management and leadership
5. Realize that no one wants to train up their replacement, or worse , their boss
So either have it so that promotions go ruthlessly by seniority, or, take it upon you yourself (the proprietor) to train and mentor and not expect middle management to do it
6. Have at least a presentable workspace.
Don't skimp on things like janitorial services, office decoration, upgrades etc.
7. Make sure that everyone knows exactly *what * they are supposed to be doing
And if they are not doing it, find out why
8. Make sure that everyone knows exactly * why * they are supposed to be doing it
This is how you truly empower people
9. When someone comes into your office to complain about another individual, promptly call that other individual into your office to meet with that someone who is complaining
This will go a long way towards alleviating a toxic work space !!