Discount Tire - Where the Rubber Meets the Road
Founder - Bruce T. Halle
Bruce was the only employee so he cleaned out the building, built countertops, repainted the outside, and displayed his initial six-tire inventory.
Bruce wore every hat there was to wear when he opened the store = tire technician, cleaning crew, salesman, and accountant.
Today - more than 1,000 stores in 35 states.
Discount Tire, headquartered in Scottsdale, Ariz., had 1,076 retail locations and 22,977 employees as of the end of 2020. And the privately-held company reported $5.17 billion in sales, making it the leading independent tire retailer
Treat people with respect and fairness.
Honesty, service, and a willingness to pay it forward
Care for those in need.
1. Every potential store location is in person to ensure the store can succeed and that employees can comfortably live in the surrounding areas.
2. Discount Tire.
The name says it all - "it implies customers could get a get a deal on a tire.
A name should speak volumes and tell so that I know exactly what to expect. No guesswork.
What are the promises that are being made?
Does the experience live up to what is being promised?
3. Discount Tire' 1975 “Thank You” commercial holds the Guinness World Record for longest-running TV advertisement.
4. In need of tires, call Discount and any other tire company of choice. Note the differences.
When calling a Discount Tire here's what I find:
Consistency - the same regardless of the location.
There's always a friendly voice on the other end. I get their undivided attention.
It's more consultative, they don't immediately start rambling off a bunch of tire prices.
Undivided attention - no background noise.
They invite me into visit their store.
They offer to compare competitor's prices in store for me.
i get can obtain an "out the door tire price" so that I know before I go.
There's are notable differences in experience just over the phone. (Pre-tire visit)
5. Visit any local Discount Tire for a complimentary air pressure check.
Just look for their “free air check” sign, and a courteous staff member will be happy to properly air up your tires and inspect their tread at no charge.
6. Discount Tire Warranty
Discount Tire does not offer the typical tire warranty that manufacturers might for their product. Instead, Discount Tire has Certificates, which are added coverage for a very minimum additional cost that offers tons of benefits and services.
Certificates are a shorthand name for the Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement program. It can cover any tire, regardless of make or model. They cover down to 3/32” of wear and if we can’t safely repair the tire, then we’ll give you a replacement.
Unlike other warranties, there is no prorating or disqualification for any reason like run-on damage. We don’t require mileage adjustments, either!
7. Discount business was built on taking care of people and giving them a good deal.
8. In addition to great prices, Discount Tire Direct says it also offers price matching if you find a better, advertised deal on an identical item
9. Bruce Halle, Discount Tire founder and Arizona's richest man, dies at 87.
Halle was listed as Arizona's wealthiest individual for the past eight years by Forbes, with a net-worth tally of $5.2 billion as of January 2018.
It all comes to an end regardless of the amount of "wealth" we amass.