Even when urgency isn't required.
Today I had to spend several extra hours clocked in to deliver a presentation for am exec. It wasn't exactly fun, but I'm confident I made the right decision. Here's why.
1. To convey the importance of the materialMy thinking is: if the exec is asking for it, it's probably important. Obviously, critical thinking is always called for. Nevertheless, execs typically have good judgment
2. To show my engagement as am employeeSpeedy deliverables show that I can deliver reliably and well
3. To give the exec an input s/he needs to move forward with a projectI definitely don't want to be the cog holding up an exec
4. To build the exec’s positive association with me
5. BONUS: when not to treat the request with urgency? When it comes at the expense of quality