Why Are You A Creator?
H/T to @apkussma for the idea. I have always made things but consciously considering myself to be a "creative person" over the last 2-3 years has been very good for the soul.
1. Considering myself to be a creator gives me permission to try new things
Focus on the process, not the outcome.
2. Thinking like a creator lets me frame mundane tasks as an opportunity to do better and think like an artist
Painting trim, washing dishes, walking the dog. "Creators" do these things with purpose, and so do I (most of the time)!
3. Willing something into existence from your thoughts is very satisfying.
From a headphone stand to a song or published book.
4. Creating is continuous learning
5. Creating gives greater appreciation for people that have achieved mastery
I have played guitar for 40 years. I am pretty good but not "great" but I still enjoy improving every day. The better I get the more I appreciate people that are better than me.
6. I have been fortunate to have creative jobs, or find creativity in jobs
This has made most work a satisfying part of life.
7. The more you consciously create, the more you can create
Each step in learning makes you better.
8. There are financial opportunities
I have made some good side money with things that I have made but have not hit one out of that park yet. You will never sell a book that you did not write. If you continuously prepare yourself for opportunity one will come.
9. Developing my "Idea Muscle" has been tremendous this year
I have done more in 2023 than I imagined was possible. I am getting a good start to the second half of my life.